Wednesday 29 July 2009

Old Wives Tales

They follow us throughout our lives these old wives tales but what are some that are associated with pregnancy. Lets see shall we?

Swing Low Sweet Chariot - Maybe there is a reason behind this song being sung at England Rugby games, apparently according to myths if you are carrying low (your baby bump is low down) you are carrying a boy and if it's high it's a girl.

Heartbeat why do you miss when my baby kisses me - Seems that us girls have a faster heartbeat while in the womb... well if you believe the myths.

She asks me why I'm just a hairy guy I'm hairy noon and night - Well your Mum had heartburn that's why mate.

Got to be good don't you understand raise your hand hey, hey, hey I said raise your hand right here right now babe - Believe it or not there is a myth that says if your raise your arms it will help to untangle your child's umbilical cord. You can raise your arms if you want but it won't help untangle that cord, the tangledness (yes I know it's not a proper word but it suits me) of it is down to how active your unborn child is in your womb. But hey, hey, hey raise your hand.

Come fly with me, lets fly lets fly away - As long as your doctor, midwife, health person says you're healthy enough to do so and the airline is happy for you to do so fly away to your hearts content. Although I think it's from about your 36th week that it is recommended you don't fly. But each person is different so it's best to check before any holidays are planned.

Sometimes when I look in the mirror I can't see my face - That's good because for this next myth you need to be looking at your boobs anyway, If your right one is larger it's a boy and your left one larger it's a girl. Goodness knows what it means if they are both larger.

Round, round baby round, round - How many of you remember doing the necklace or ring on a string trick as a kid at school? The one where you hold either of them above your hand or belly and see which direction it goes? I certainly do! Darned if I remember now what it always said I'd have but hey the Internet is there to tell me the meanings behind it if I ever do remember. So what does the dear Internet say? A circular movement means it's a girl and a swaying movement a boy.

So there we go a little peak at some of the myths talked about in pregnancy. Have any you'd like to share with us? Just let us know in the comments. :D

And just to have a bit of fun lets see how you answer these questions:


You can find the answers at the bottom of this page here.

No comments: